USS N-7 (SS-59)
|Builder:||Lake Torpedo Boat, Bridgeport, Connecticut|
|Laid down:||20 April 1915|
|Launched:||19 May 1917|
|Commissioned:||15 June 1918|
|Decommissioned:||7 February 1922|
|Fate:||Sold for scrap, 5 June 1922|
|Class and type:||N-class submarine|
|Length:||155 ft (47 m)|
|Beam:||14 ft 6 in (4.42 m)|
|Draft:||12 ft 4 in (3.76 m)|
|Test depth:||200 feet (61.0 m)|
|Complement:||29 officers and men|
|Armament:||4 × bow 18 inch (450 mm) torpedo tubes|
The N-class boats designed by Lake Torpedo Boat (N-4 throughN-7) were built to slightly different specifications from the other N-class submarines, which were designed by Electric Boat, and are sometimes considered a separate class. The Lake submarines had a length of 155 feet (47.2 m) overall, a beam of 14 feet 6 inches (4.4 m) and a mean draft of 12 feet 4 inches (3.8 m). They displaced 331 long tons (336 t) on the surface and 385 long tons (391 t) submerged. The N-class submarines had a crew of 3 officers and 26 enlisted men. They had a diving depth of 200 feet (61.0 m).
For surface running, the Electric Boat submarines were powered by two 300-brake-horsepower (224 kW) diesel engines, each driving one propeller shaft. When submerged each propeller was driven by a 150-horsepower (112 kW) electric motor. They could reach 13 knots (24 km/h; 15 mph) on the surface and 11 knots (20 km/h; 13 mph) underwater. On the surface, the boats had a range of 3,500 nautical miles (6,500 km; 4,000 mi) at 11 knots (20 km/h; 13 mph) and 30 nmi (56 km; 35 mi) at 5 knots (9.3 km/h; 5.8 mph) submerged.
Construction and career
N-7 was laid down on 20 April 1915 by Lake Torpedo Boat Company in Bridgeport, Connecticut. She was launched on 19 May 1917, sponsored by Mrs Frank Miller, and commissioned on 15 June 1918, with Lieutenant Walter S. Haas in command. After outfitting at New London, Connecticut, she patrolled the New England coast, to guard against attacks by German U-boats, until 17 September, when she put into New York City for upkeep. Returning to New London on 24 October, she remained there until 21 June 1919, when she sailed to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, for extensive overhaul. She returned to New London on 31 March 1920 and remained there until placed in reserve on 7 June.
She spent 1921 in reserve at New London, except for short cruises to Boston, Massachusetts, and Newport, Rhode Island. Later that year, her engines were transferred to a more modern L-class submarine. Towed by tug USS Lykens (AT-56), she departed on 26 January 1922 for Philadelphia, where she decommissioned on 7 February. Her hulk was sold to Joseph G. Hitner of Philadelphia for scrap on 5 June.
- Friedman, p. 307
- Gardiner & Gray, p. 129
- Friedman, Norman (1995). U.S. Submarines Through 1945: An Illustrated Design History. Annapolis, Maryland: Naval Institute Press. ISBN 1-55750-263-3.
- Gardiner, Robert & Gray, Randal, eds. (1985). Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships: 1906–1921. Annapolis, Maryland: Naval Institute Press. ISBN 0-85177-245-5.
- Photo gallery of USS N-7 at NavSource Naval History